16/03/2010

My training regime and goals

I thought I'd post a brief description of my current training regime and goals. If nothing else I hope that this might stimulate some feedback and maybe suggestions on things to change, add and improve so please feel free to comment on this post.

Goals
When I arrived in Okinawa last year my immediate goals were straightforward. 1. Establish a regular, frequent (daily ideally) training pattern that included martial arts and challenging conditioning training. 2. Eat a healthier, more balanced diet, and 3. Lose some weight, hopefully as a natural result of doing 1 and 2. I also had a softer goal of feeling less stressed and happier on a day-to-day basis. Perhaps the most important goal of all.

My longer term goals include gaining proficiency in traditional Okinawan karate and kobudo, exploring the various schools on Okinawa, maintaining and improving my knowledge of jujitsu technique and adding other martial arts training and technique as the opportunities come up and they seem appropriate. You might notice these longer term 'goals' don't actually have a completion point, they are open ended, perhaps more like a path that just keeps twisting and turning as you journey along it but never runs out.

I have some other goals too - these are more like minor achievements and challenges to myself (100 push ups, 20 pull ups (I suck at pull ups!), cycle around the whole of Okinawa island, complete a local triathlon) but these are bars that will keep moving and being replaced with others as I achieve them.

'Not goals' - there are some obvious milestones that I do not place in my 'goals' because I think doing that will overemphasise them and because they should just happen naturally as a result of my other goals and these are the achievement of any particular grade, such as black belt/shodan, and higher 'dan' grades, in the martial arts I practice. Don't get me wrong, I will feel very proud of myself if and when I am awarded a higher grade in any art but I've experienced myself and seen too many other people hit a psychological wall either before or after a big grading, typically at shodan level, that really hits their motivation and commitment to training. Training should be a life long consistent practice, not built upon a series of artificial crescendos, so in my mind I try to keep gradings and rankings in their proper, relatively unimportant, place.

Training
My current weekly training pattern is this:
Monday - Jujitsu/self defence practice 7.00 - 9.00pm
Tuesday - Matsubayashi-ryu karate practice 8.30 - 9.30pm
Wednesday - Conditioning and fitness 6.30-7.30am, then Jujitsu/self defence practice 7.00 - 9.00pm
Thursday - Matsubayashi-ryu karate practice 8.30 - 9.30pm
Friday - Conditioning and fitness 6.30-7.30am, then open slot to visit other dojos
Saturday - no regular training, rest day
Sunday - Conditioning and fitness 10am -12am, open slot to visit other dojos

I am both happy and unhappy with this training pattern.

Its good in that I'm doing some training almost everyday and getting in a combination of traditional karate, jujitsu and conditioning. I'm definitely feeling fitter and stronger, generally healthier now and I have lost around 10 kgs in bodyweight since last year. That alone puts a bit more of a bounce into my step!
But I feel like I should be doing more. I want to get in a decent conditioning session everyday and add in some kata practice as well. And I want to make sure I visit on average one new dojo every week (I've been to 3 or 4 so far). There are some challenges here in terms of balancing family and working time but I'm going to push for it nonetheless. I'm almost there and my mind I often reprove myself for not taking every  opportunity to get in some training when I have it - after all you only need around a 30 minute workout to do basic fitness and some kata.

Having my friend and training partner Eugene out here staying with me from next month is definitely going to help so I'm really looking forward to that. I am sure we will motivate, encourage, cajole, goad and beast each other along in equal measure!! (In between the Okinawa sake appreciation sessions of course;)